by clicking the arrows at the side of the page, or by using the toolbar.
by clicking anywhere on the page.
by dragging the page around when zoomed in.
by clicking anywhere on the page when zoomed in.
web sites or send emails by clicking on hyperlinks.
Email this page to a friend
Search this issue
Index - jump to page or section
Archive - view past issues
Click here to view past issues
Campus News : March 2011
UOW campus news campus news Campus News is produced for community, industry, government and other educational institutions as well as staff, students and graduates of the University of Wollongong. It provides an overview of University news and achievements on a quarterly basis. Submissions for publication can be made to the Media Unit. Phone (02) 4221 5942 or email email@example.com PRINT POST APPROVED : PP255003/00173 www.uow.edu.au University of Wollongong Campus News March 2011 1 UOW celebrates 60th anniversary Members of the Wadi Wadi Indigenous dance group join a UOW student for a photo at the annual Welcome to Wollongong (W2W) festival at Wollongong's Civic Plaza -- where the city welcomes UOW's international students with performances, displays and information stalls. Full story -- Page 6. A Wadi Wadi welcome The University of Wollongong is celebrating its 60th anniversary this year, and is inviting past and present staff and students to share their stories about their connections with the University. Vice-Chancellor Professor Gerard Sutton described the 60th anniversary as a special year in the University's history, and a chance for UOW to celebrate with past and present staff and students. "This milestone provides an opportunity to celebrate the University's past and present successes and to say thank you to everyone who has contributed to its achievements," Professor Sutton said. "UOW is consistently ranked among the top Australian universities for the quality of its teaching, research, graduate employment rates and student experience," Professor Sutton said. "This year marks 60 years of success in the Illawarra region and the University's growing influence nationally and internationally." Issue 1 Volume 14 March 2011 Opinion: Gerald Nanson Page 2 New ERA in research Page 5 Tributes for Leon Page 10 OAM for fund-raiser Page 11 Dean joins ARC Council Page 11 Inside this edition UOW grew from a small outpost of the then New South Wales University of Technology (later University of NSW). The outpost was established in Wollongong in 1951 to service the city's steel industry. In 1951 there were just 171 students in four schools -- Applied Chemistry, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Mechanical Engineering. Classes were held at Wollongong Technical College at Gladstone Avenue in Wollongong for the first 11 years. After strong campaigning from local industry and the local community, who combined to raise money for a proper campus, the Wollongong divisional outpost became Wollongong University College and moved to the current Northfields Avenue site in 1962 with 308 students. It gained full autonomy as an independent university in 1975. Sixty years after the first classes at Gladstone Avenue UOW has more than 25,000 students studying in nine Continued Page 4